Thursday, March 31, 2011

A sense of place

I am in the living room downstairs our house in Saudi Arabia. I can smell the oriental (eastern) fragrance that we, Saudis, are famous for, Bukhoor. It’s a special fragrance. In order to use it, you need to put in a small piece of fire to warm it up so that the smoke starts to raise and spread the smell all over the place. I can see the floral decoration on the walls, couches, and artifacts. I can see the marble floor reflecting the shiny natural light and sun lines coming through the very big windows. It’s like a masterpiece all together. I can feel the chill when walking on the marble floor with my bare feet. I am looking at the artifact mural with its lavish, golden frame. I am setting on the couch next to my two brothers, facing our parents, having a really entertaining talk, remembering all good memories. Oh, memories! How can I forget them? How can I forget my graduation party?! I was surprised when I just came back from a three-hour travel and entered my house to find out that all lights were out. I was little bit confused at first. And once I got into the living room, all the lights suddenly got switched on, and my family was waiting for me. I still remember the songs they sang for me. I remember the yummy cake with two cherries on top of it. I am looking at all the colorful balloons around and the smiles on my parents’, brothers’, and little sisters’ faces. I am looking at the tears of joy and the red light of the camcorder indicating that the camcorder is recording. I am looking at the glares on the glasses of juice that we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment